Top World News

Trump's boast backfires into mockery: 'You'll never hear me call myself stupid'

President Donald Trump's brag on Friday at Rockland Community College in Suffern, New York, left the internet questioning his comments.Trump was in Rockland County, New York — the first time a president has visited the town since Gerald Ford in 1976. He was there to deliver a midterm message on the economy and throw support behind Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY), who is up for re-election in the fall, according to The Associated Press. The speech took several turns and strayed off topic, with Trump at one point telling his supporters: "You'll never hear me call myself stupid. I’m the smartest guy you’re ever going to meet. In fact I took the cognitive test. I'm the only one."The internet couldn't help but comment after the remark."Only the smartest guy loses the Strait of Hormuz for the entire world," literary agent Mitch Solomon wrote on Bluesky."You know who doesn't talk about how brilliant they are? Smart people," Peter Hopey, former columnist for The Bleacher Report, wrote on X."Not the cognitive test, again. We might get dinner with his friend, Hannibal Lecter in this speech," user Mason, a frequent political commentator and Iraq war veteran, wrote on X."What a complete embarrassment," author and graphic designer Donald Capone wrote on Threads.Trump: "I am the smartest guy you're ever gonna meet. In fact I took the cogni-titive test. I'm the only one."[image or embed]— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar.com) May 22, 2026 at 1:24 PM

ArticleImg
US judge dismisses criminal indictment against Kilmar Ábrego García

Judge said Trump administration would not have prosecuted Ábrego had he not challenged his high-profile deportationSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailA US judge dismissed a criminal indictment against Kilmar Ábrego García on Friday, finding that the Trump administration would not have prosecuted him had he not challenged his high-profile deportation.Ábrego, who had entered the United States without authorization in the past, became a symbol of the Trump administration’s drive for mass deportations when he was sent to the notorious anti-terrorism mega-prison in El Salvador known as Cecot in March 2025. Continue reading...

Senegal's president fires prime minister after months of tensions

Senegal’s President Bassirou Diomaye Faye has fired Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko after months of simmering tension

ArticleImg
Hegseth's blunder blindsided the Pentagon — and Trump personally scolded him: report

On Thursday, President Donald Trump overruled Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth by ordering troops to Poland that the former Fox News personality had canceled, much to the surprise of high-ranking Pentagon officials.According to the Wall Street Journal, along with countermanding Hegseth’s decision, the president gave him an earful about treating countries with close ties to his administration with greater respect."Based on the successful election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland," Trump wrote in a social media post.Hegseth's earlier decision to cancel the Poland deployment surprised many Pentagon officials and drew immediate concern from Polish officials, who told The Journal they weren't consulted about the move. Republican and Democratic lawmakers condemned the cancellation as damaging to a key U.S. ally.According to current and former U.S. officials, Trump confronted Hegseth in a recent phone call, demanding to know why the troop deployment to Poland had been canceled. Trump told Hegseth that the U.S. "should not treat Poland poorly given it is an American ally with close ties to the White House."There are currently about 10,000 U.S. troops stationed in Poland. Trump's order to send an additional 5,000 represents a significant reinforcement of the U.S. military commitment to the country.The move reflects Trump's transactional approach to alliances. Germany, not Poland, had criticized U.S. strategy in the Iran war, drawing Trump's ire. In early May, Trump responded to criticism from German Chancellor Friedrich Merz by ordering the withdrawal of 5,000 troops from Germany — a process the Pentagon said would take six to 12 months.According to the report, frustration has been mounting in Congress over the Trump administration's bypassing of lawmakers on both the Iran war and troop withdrawals from Europe. Lawmakers and aides have been attempting to piece together the Pentagon's troop withdrawal plan.Republican lawmakers have signaled they could take legislative action to preclude deeper force cuts in Europe by inserting provisions in Pentagon spending bills, including the National Defense Authorization Act, the report notes.

'Unconscionable': Fed-up lawmaker blasts Mike Johnson for yanking vote to rein in Trump

WASHINGTON — Rep. Hillary Scholten (D-MI) told reporters on Thursday that House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) pulled a scheduled war powers resolution vote, saying that it was clear that Democrats had enough votes to compel President Donald Trump to withdraw from the Iran war."They just pulled it, unconscionably. It is beyond time that we address this issue," Scholten said. "Gas prices are $5. I'm getting $5 a gallon in Michigan. People on the West Coast are hearing that and they're planning a road trip to Michigan to put it in Tupperware and take it back home with them. I'm getting calls in my office about people cancelling their Memorial Day plans because they literally cannot afford to drive to their cottages in Michigan and celebrate this weekend how they normally would." She described how the economy and skyrocketing gas prices has caused frustration among Americans."It's obviously about a failed plan, not the whims of a president who decides he's bored one day and wants to continue this war," Scholten said. "The power and the decision, whether we go forward with this, belongs in the hands of the people and that's why Congress needs the power to decide." Scholten said that she has questions about what's happening among leadership behind-the-scenes."We do hope that Mike Johnson will answer it and not deflect as he often does, saying 'I don't know anything about that.' It's his decision. We had the votes for it today and I'm not one to speculate, but I do believe that's why he probably pulled it because I think we could have got it done today. And that's unfortunate. It's a disservice to the American people."Rep. Hillary Scholten (D-MI) tells reporters Thursday that House Speaker Mike Johnson pulled a scheduled War Powers resolution vote. “They just pulled it, unconscionably. It is beyond time that we address this issue.”???? @MattLaslo pic.twitter.com/uTWTV9Vzdv— Nicole Charky-Chami (@NicoleCharky) May 22, 2026